The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) works with federal departments to make the services people depend on simple and easy-to-use. We’re a small but mighty team that is rethinking service design and delivery, engaging users every step of the way. By working in the open and connecting partners with tools, talent, and training grounded in best practices, we’re building capacity across the government for better service delivery. And we need you.
Visual designers create graphic elements that underpin interaction and service design.
Their work uses typography, colour, space, layout, iconography, and illustration to ensure that content is legible and readable and that interactions are seen and understood by all users. They are also responsible for creating visuals that are accessible for users of all abilities while communicate complex topics in the simplest and easiest terms. Visual designers can work in both print and digital while understanding the specifics of both.
We are currently hiring in Ottawa, Toronto, Waterloo, and Montreal.
We’re looking for dedicated designers to join our team:
- Your approach to design starts with inclusivity and accessibility
- You’re great at communicating with people who aren’t familiar with design, comfortable working alongside clients during the design process, and are excited to work with people on research and testing
- You can effectively demonstrate what your detailed design process entails
- You are passionate about users’ experiences and want to create measurable improvements to government services
- You have experience working alongside developers and researchers, and rapidly prototyping
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or family commitments.
Email us at CDSRecruitment.RecrutementSNC@tbs-sct.gc.ca with “Visual Designers” in the subject line. Tell us why you’re right for the job. We recognize that everyone brings different skills and experiences to the table, and that nobody “checks all the boxes.” Include a link to a CV, examples of your work, and/or whatever you think we should see to get to know you.