We’re transforming government. Our products will impact people’s everyday lives. It’s an exciting thing to be part of. We need you.
The Canadian Digital Service is focused on delivering better public services using the best technology and design, all informed by people’s needs. We’re hiring people at all levels of experience in Ottawa, Toronto, Waterloo, and Montreal.
The policy team are CDS’s bureaucracy hackers and government navigators, enabling digital delivery with our partners and beyond. Our analysts form part of CDS’s multidisciplinary product teams, working alongside product managers, engineers, designers, and design researchers. We work through legislative, regulatory, and policy issues in product development. We dig into processes to find creative solutions. We build tools that turn one-time fixes into replicable solutions. We drive lessons from delivery into policy and standards-setting, advocating for changes that make it easier to do the right thing. Our goal is to scale modern service design and development practices across government — to produce better outcomes for the public — by changing the relationship between policy and delivery.
In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to work with colleagues with diverse skills and experience. You’ll flex your problem-solving abilities on issues like privacy, user research, and cloud procurement. You’ll help architect CDS’s engagements with Cabinet, ministers, and senior officials. You’ll practice and strengthen your management skills. All in the service of the people CDS and its partners are helping: Veterans, people with low or fixed income, victims of cybercrime, and others.
We’re looking for someone who will:
- Serve on CDS product teams, to help navigate government and problem-solve.
- Take practical delivery lessons and work with TBS and departments to drive change.
- Find ways to change rules, governance, and practice to mainstream iterative software development and human-centred design.
- Develop small solutions and scale them to government-wide potential
- Help measure the impact CDS is having.
- Coach, mentor, and help manage a team.
- Plan, develop, and present briefing and decision materials to senior officials.
You’ll fit right in if:
- You’re great at leading teams or projects — and mentoring and developing people.
- You have a passion for making government better and understand how technology and design can help do that.
- You’re a strong researcher and problem-solver — and enjoy digging into topics to generate advice and solutions.
- You have strong data analysis and/or performance measurement chops.
- You’re a Westminster geek who understands how stuff gets done in government.
- You’re good at cultivating relationships and building communities.
- You communicate quickly and effectively
- You are a quick learner.
- Ideally, you’re fluent in French and English, at a government-tested level of CBC or better.
We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job.
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it.
We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. We will only be able to deliver better, more accessible, and more inclusive public services if we harness diverse thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, Veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments.