We’re transforming government. Our products will impact people’s everyday lives. It’s an exciting thing to be part of. We need you.
The Canadian Digital Service is focused on delivering better public services using the best technology and design, all informed by people’s needs. We’re hiring people at all levels of experience in Ottawa, Toronto, Waterloo, and Montreal.
The Canadian Digital Service is looking for an experienced technical writer to tell our stories, whether it’s: how our solutions are built; how they work; or how to reuse our tools and transfer technical knowledge across government.
We’re looking for someone who will:
- Make sure our documentation resonates with IT teams in departments who might want to implement features or components we’ve built.
- Develop content plans to help meet the needs of people, ensuring that topics are covered comprehensively.
- Create new content strategy for technologists inside and outside government, like:
- case studies documenting how different teams solved problems
- technical guidance on how to approach common problems
- blog posts on emerging patterns and practices
- documentation for developers on how a product works
- Interview technical and process experts on a variety of teams to get an in-depth understanding of relevant programs, projects, and topics.
- Run workshops and collaborate with technical and content colleagues on publishing.
- Work with Content Designers to ensure guidance is consistent and coherent.
- Actively develop and apply content and format strategies.
- Contribute to the technical writer community across government.
You’ll fit right in if:
- You have an ability to understand complex, technical concepts and translate them into simple, accessible content.
- You thrive in environments where you need to manage relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
- Your strong interpersonal skills enable you to extract knowledge from technical and process experts.
- You are able to work in a fast-paced environment and deliver to deadlines, coordinating work across distributed teams.
- You can identify and deliver the most appropriate type of content (e.g. written, visual, video) for a particular user need.
- You use metrics and user feedback to define and refine content.
- Your default mode is open collaboration. You listen and make space for new ideas. Your secret power is making other people’s ideas better.
- You know that sometimes just trying something is the best way to find out if it’ll work.
- You’re comfortable with what you know, comfortable with what you don’t know, and know how to work with others to make great things.
- You know that done is better than perfect.
- You’re fluent in French and English (in government speak, we’re looking for CBC).
At the Canadian Digital Service, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it.
We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make our team more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. We will only be able to deliver better, more accessible, and more inclusive public services if we harness diverse thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
We welcome all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, Veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments.