The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) is tasked with changing how the federal government designs and delivers digital services, to reduce the risk of product failure, lower costs, ensure user privacy and system security, and, above all, improves people’s lives by putting their needs and concerns front and center. We believe every experience Canadians have with their government should meet or exceed their reasonable modern expectations that digital services be safe, fast, easy, transparent, and accessible. Working in the open, we’re building capacity across the government for better service delivery. And we need you.
We’re hiring a Technical Support Developer. While we have locations in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, and Kitchener; we largely work distributedly and equally value candidates in other parts of Canada.
This position is part of the Software Development Community and reports to the Head of Software Development. This role in our Platform team is at the centre of the customer experience for CDS. We strive in providing the highest quality support and service to our valued customers. The role will require a mix of technical excellence, strong communication, customer service skills and IT service management process knowledge.
Support Developers are classified as CS-02 or CS-03 in the Computer Systems group.
You’ll need to accomplish the following things:
- Analyze and troubleshoot complex technical support incidents and problems for our clients across our various platform products
- Respond to inquiries via tickets, emails, and other channels
- Take ownership of responding to inquiries, issues, and escalations
- Perform problem-solving, diagnosing, root cause analysis, and generate corrective action plans for issues
- Work cross-functionally to resolve issues and provide customer care
- Pick up on gaps in our existing or incoming services, processes or methods and self-start towards solutions
- Monitor and analyze customer’s environments, providing recommendations for continuous improvement and optimization
- Interact with Product, Development, and Service Reliability Engineering (SRE) teams to document and provide feedback on production support related issues and improvements
- Maintain and improve technical documentation associated with supported client environments
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills through all levels of communication, incident/problem management, escalation, and resolution activities
- Provide on-call support for rotations and escalations
We’ll evaluate you based on:
- Ability to work in a customer facing role, with strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to listen, show empathy and also be able to converse with both internal and external technical and non-technical stakeholders
- A deep understanding and hands-on experience of AWS and API technologies
- Experience with security principles
- Discovering user/business needs and operational bottlenecks
- Working in highly variable, multi-stakeholder environments
- Experience working within a 24x7 technical support environment
- Promoting inclusive delivery and upholding impact, openness, integrity and fairness.
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we can recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
*Out of an abundance of caution, all interviews will be conducted via video or teleconference for the foreseeable future.