We are looking for a Storyteller and Media Relations Advisor. The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) is changing how the federal government designs and delivers digital services. We’re here to improve people’s lives by changing how the government builds technology. We do this by putting people’s needs and concerns front and centre. Every experience Canadians have with their government should be safe, fast, easy, transparent, and accessible. We are working in the open to help everyone across government improve service delivery. We need you.
To support this important mission, we are looking for a Storyteller and Media Relations Advisor. Reporting to the Head of Outreach, this position is responsible for media relations for CDS, liaising with our partners on media needs for our projects and aiding the telling the CDS story. At CDS we believe that our mission is best understood by telling the stories of the people who use and build our products.
We are looking for someone who will
- Triage media requests with our partners
- Craft media lines
- Work with our partners to pitch CDS media stories
- Analyze media trends and develop outreach strategies
- Write content to help tell the CDS story
- Help edit CDS content to make sure we’re aligned with other stakeholder messaging, but staying true to the CDS brand
- Be a liaison with multiple stakeholders to share latest updates and messaging to the team
An excellent candidate will:
- Communicate comfortably in both English and French (written, spoken, comprehension)
- Use their excellent writing and communication skills to tell the CDS story in a powerful and compelling way
- Use their excellent interpersonal skills to work well with multiple stakeholders
- Have experience with media relations in areas like science, technology or government (think explaining complicated topics so that they can be explained in the news)
- Have an understanding of open source development and/or a background in technology a plus
We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job.
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we can recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Out of an abundance of caution, all interviews will be conducted via video or teleconference for the foreseeable future.
*A pool of qualified persons resulting from this process MAY be created and MAY be used to fill similar position with linguistic profiles (english essential, bilingual imperative BBB/BBB, bilingual imperative CBC/CBC, as well as tenures (indeterminate, deployment, acting, assignment, secondment, specified period) which may vary according to the position being staffed.