The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) is tasked with changing how the federal government designs and delivers digital services, to reduce the risk of product failure, lower costs, ensure user privacy and system security, and, above all, improves people’s lives by putting their needs and concerns front and center. We believe every experience Canadians have with their government should meet or exceed their reasonable modern expectations that digital services be safe, fast, easy, transparent, and accessible. Working in the open, we’re building capacity across the government for better service delivery. And we need you.
While we have locations in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, and Kitchener; we largely work distributedly and equally value candidates in other parts of Canada.
We’re hiring for a Senior Product Manager for our Platform business unit. This role is a two year term contract and is classified as CS4/CS5 in the Computer Systems group and represents the CS4/CS5 qualification standard. Bilingualism is an asset, not a requirement.
You’ll join the Platform Business Unit, where we change the way government works by making enabling tools for public servants. These tools are designed and built to be useful for all parts of government, rather than specifically tailored to a particular program or use case. Examples include tools that send notifications and publish web forms.
What is it like to work in Platform?
Working in Platform is similar to working in a typical tech product/SaaS company. Priorities and goals are stable as we plan, grow, support and own the products that we have in our portfolio.You can expect to work long-term on a product or to rotate every 6 to 12 months from one product to the next if you choose to. You can expect who you work with to not change often.
What working on Platform is not.
Platform is not a consulting unit. We aim to understand and solve for the most common user needs and solve, but we are not there to deep dive in all parts of a government program and solve all their problems in a bespoke way. This also means that Platform is about focusing on a set of long running products and problems, but may be less appealing for people who like a wide variety of projects that are changing every few weeks.
You’ll need to accomplish the following things:
- Work with your product team(s) demonstrating a growth mindset and empathy while ruthlessly prioritizing the product roadmap and backlog based on qualitative and quantitative inputs
- Collaborate with your team to ship value at the earliest opportunity and constantly help team members to connect their work to the product vision, goals, and strategy as well as to the needs of the users and the organization
- Define measurable outcomes and goals and report against them to demonstrate progress and challenges
- Perform competitive and business analysis in order to refine your product strategy
- Be part of the 24⁄7 on-call team rotation and manage incidents and post mortems together with your colleagues
- Embed security and accessibility in an iterative way into your product requirements
- Communicate with diverse stakeholders in order to understand their needs and environments and communicate the benefits of your product
- Create and manage stakeholder relationships in collaboration with the Platform Growth team.
We’ll evaluate you based on your:
- Experience and approach for working with multidisciplinary teams in the design, development, release and continuous improvement of digital products through the different lifecycle stages
- Technical experience with digital products; either as a Developer or Business Analyst, or through management of SaaS products
- Creativity and passion for problem-solving, prioritization and for working in complex environments
- Ability to build trustworthy relationships with stakeholders and peers and adapt your approach with each of them
- Proficiency in agile product management techniques, such as writing user stories, prioritizing backlogs, developing roadmaps, defining goals and success metrics and reporting against them.
- Capability to communicate efficiently and persuasively, through a variety of channels with a range of audiences, and explain technical concepts or decisions to technical and less technical folks alike.
- Habits of being organized, taking action, learning through doing and helping others to achieve their goals.
- Ability to demonstrate an inclusive and thoughtful approach to product management and to uphold impact, openness, integrity and fairness.
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we can recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
*Out of an abundance of caution, all interviews will be conducted via video or teleconference for the foreseeable future