The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) is tasked with changing how the federal government designs and delivers digital services, to reduce the risk of product failure, lower costs, ensure user privacy and system security, and, above all, improves people’s lives by putting their needs and concerns front and center. We believe every experience Canadians have with their government should meet or exceed their reasonable modern expectations that digital services be safe, fast, easy, transparent, and accessible. Working in the open, we’re building capacity across the government for better service delivery. And we need you.
We’re hiring for a Senior Product Manager. While we have locations in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, and Kitchener; we largely work distributedly and equally value candidates in other parts of Canada.
We’re a matrixed organization with communities of practice that staff people across our business units. Those units include Partnerships, providing hands on consulting with other departments and Platforms, building and operating reusable software services. This position will report to the Head of Product and Delivery Management Community, but will be assigned to the Partnerships unit.
Senior Product Managers are classified as CS-04 in the Computer Systems group in the Treasury Board Secretariat of the Government of Canada.
You’ll join the Partnerships business unit, which grows our relationships with other government departments and helps them improve how they design and deliver digital services.
Our Business Development team searches for opportunities and helps us prioritize the engagements we take on by their impact and feasibility. When we begin to partner, our Consulting Team helps us meet the department where they are, take stock, and deliver the specific help they need by providing guidance or hands-on assistance to change how they serve people using technology. Where a partner wants more help to change how they’re working and show what’s possible, we’ll provide an Embedded Team to work side-by-side and help them build high fidelity prototypes while sharing our methods hands-on.
In all of our engagements, we work with public service leadership, service owners, and our colleagues to make the case for change, introduce new ways of working, and deliver the greatest public value. This means that regardless of your title and position, you’ll need to be outcome focused, able to wear multiple hats, and ready to navigate government bureaucracy to get things done. Common themes for engagements include: change management, procurement (i.e. buying software or services), human centred design, and leveraging commodity solutions (i.e. cloud, etc.).
You’ll need to accomplish the following things:
- Lead your product team(s) with a growth mindset and empathy while adapting to complex and changing environments
- Prioritize and balance users’ and organisation’s needs based on qualitative and quantitative inputs and champion these needs in the delivery of the products you manage and services you support
- Together with the team you lead, meet stakeholders where they are, build and maintain relationships with them based on trust, openness and collaboration
- Collaborate with your team to ship value at the earliest opportunity and constantly help team members to connect their work to the product vision, goals, and strategy as well as to the needs of the users and the organization
- Define measurable outcomes and goals and reporting against them to demonstrate progress and challenges
- Communicate the benefits of your products and share the experience of delivery to get organizational buy in, build the capability of others and contribute to create change
- Coach and mentor colleagues in CDS and partner departments to improve the practice of product management and be a catalyst for inclusive and outcome-oriented change management processes.
- Manage product managers to support them in their growth and evaluate their performance.
We’ll evaluate you based on your:
- Experience and approach for leading multidisciplinary teams in the design, development, release and continuous improvement of digital products through the different lifecycle stages
- Creativity and passion for problem-solving, prioritization and for working in complex and changing environments
- Ability to build trustworthy relationships with stakeholders and peers and adapt your approach with each of them
- Proficiency in agile product management techniques, such as writing user stories, prioritizing backlogs, developing roadmaps, defining goals and success metrics and reporting against them.
- Capability to communicate efficiently and persuasively, through a variety channels with a range of audiences, and explain technical decisions to technical and less technical folks alike.
- Habits of being organized, taking action, learning through doing and helping others to achieve their goals.
- Ability to demonstrate an inclusive and thoughtful approach to product management and to uphold impact, openness, integrity and fairness.
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we can recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
*Out of an abundance of caution, all interviews will be conducted via video or teleconference for the foreseeable future