The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) is tasked with changing how the federal government designs and delivers digital services, to reduce the risk of product failure, lower costs, ensure user privacy and system security, and, above all, improves people’s lives by putting their needs and concerns front and center. We believe every experience Canadians have with their government should meet or exceed their reasonable modern expectations that digital services be safe, fast, easy, transparent, and accessible. Working in the open, we’re building capacity across the government for better service delivery. And we need you.
We’re hiring Senior and Principal Software Developers. While we have locations in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, and Kitchener; we largely work distributedly and equally value candidates in other parts of Canada.
These positions are part of the Software Development Community and report to the Head of Software Development, who assigns people to projects based on organizational needs and personal growth plans.
You’ll need to accomplish the following things:
- Deliver high quality Python code, published in the cloud, and bring proficiency and a willingness to learn other web application languages and technologies as required.
- Shipping full stack web applications (UI to infrastructure). This includes architecting, coding, operating, releasing, testing, and tuning them. You’ll need to do these in the open and collaboratively on cross-functional teams. This may involve rotating on-call duty.
- Create and champion default practices within CDS to increase our capacity to operate and deliver value on our Platform products. Not everything will be reusable with partner departments, but these should demonstrate good practices they might follow.
- Determining, communicating, and iteratively delivering minimal viable features and processes that will improve things for users right now. Doing this “agile-y” is critical, despite the government being waterfall driven.
- Listen to, learn from, and help fellow government employees/departments improve how they work and deliver public services. Based on what’s simultaneously feasible and impactful is critical, help with change management, site reliability, securing systems+processes, and human-centered design in places where we don’t have formal authority.
- Build prototypes and/or well-crafted, maintainable software based on the context.
We’ll evaluate you based on:
- Creating and delivering software
- Employing site reliability practice and DevOps culture
- Securing systems and processes
- Discovering user/business needs and operational bottlenecks
- Working in highly variable, multi-stakeholder environments
- Advising senior leaders and non-technical audiences
- Promoting inclusive delivery and upholding impact, openness, integrity and fairness.
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we can recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
*Out of an abundance of caution, all interviews will be conducted via video or teleconference for the foreseeable future.