The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) is changing how the federal government designs and delivers digital services. We’re here to improve people’s lives by changing how the government builds technology. We do this by putting people’s needs and concerns front and centre. Every experience Canadians have with their government should be safe, fast, easy, transparent, and accessible. We are working in the open to help everyone across government improve service delivery. We need you.
Content design is a UX practice focused on meeting the information needs of users, and how to best organize and present that information in English and French. Content design helps people find what they need, understand what they find, and use it to meet their needs. Content designers help make an experience easy for users by researching their vocabulary and mental models and creating the least amount of content for users to do what they need to do.
Content designers are in constant collaboration with the multidisciplinary teams, working very closely with researchers, interaction designers, service designers, developers and product managers. This role is classified as a CS-04 or CS-05 in the Computer Systems group.
In this role, you will:
- Be assigned to our consulting team, which partners with departments to provide feedback and support to departments as peers, in the form of advice or time-boxed hands-on help, to improve the outcomes of priority federal public services.
- When you see trends or common pain points, you’ll work with your teammates to create and publish products (e.g. workshops, tools, or guides) to help better meet the information needs of the government and extend their reach to serve more departments.
- Learn and meet the information needs of users while helping to meet the partner’s organizational objectives.
- Champion the readability and accessibility of information for all users, always looking for opportunities to reduce or eliminate cognitive load.
- Take a systems design approach to information architecture and content governance processes with bilingual content.
- Take a consultative approach to engaging team members and stakeholders in meeting user needs, including effectively advocating for changes beyond a service’s interface that help make the service easier for people.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to team members, other designers, and public servants outside of CDS.
You’re an excellent candidate if:
- You have experience leading content design for a product or service, championing inclusivity, accessibility and plain language, and initiating organizational change to make services better for users.
- You have strong consulting and change management skills, always looking for opportunities for improvement and celebrating small wins on the way to realizing a larger vision.
- You’re great at communicating with people who aren’t familiar with content design, comfortable working alongside team members and stakeholders during the design process, and are excited to work with people on research and testing.
- You’re passionate about great content design, prioritizing clarity over aesthetics, and style or grammar rules when necessary.
- Your application itself shows great content design skills.
- Priority will be given to candidates who can communicate and write in both French and English (in government terms, at a CCC level). The main priority for this role is creating English content, and collaborating closely with a French content designer before finalizing content in either language.
- Even more priority will be given to candidates who can create equally good content in both official languages, as demonstrated by past work samples.
You’ll join the Partnerships business unit, which grows our relationships with other government departments and helps them improve how they design and deliver digital services.
Our Business Development team searches for opportunities and helps us prioritize the engagements we take on by their impact and feasibility. When we begin to partner, our Consulting Team helps us meet the department where they are, take stock, and deliver the specific help they need by providing guidance or hands-on assistance to change how they serve people using technology. Where a partner wants more help to change how they’re working and show what’s possible, we’ll provide an Embedded Team to work side-by-side and help them build high fidelity prototypes while sharing our methods hands-on.
In all of our engagements, we work with public service leadership, service owners, and our colleagues to make the case for change, introduce new ways of working, and deliver the greatest public value. This means that regardless of your title and position, you’ll need to be outcome focused, able to wear multiple hats, and ready to navigate government bureaucracy to get things done. Common themes for engagements include: change management, procurement (i.e. buying software or services), human centred design, and leveraging commodity solutions (i.e. cloud, etc.).
We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job.
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we can recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
*Out of an abundance of caution, all interviews will be conducted via video or teleconference for the foreseeable future.