The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) is tasked with changing how the federal government designs and delivers digital services, to reduce the risk of product failure, lower costs, ensure user privacy and system security, and, above all, improves people’s lives by putting their needs and concerns front and center. We believe every experience Canadians have with their government should meet or exceed their reasonable modern expectations that digital services be safe, fast, easy, transparent, and accessible. Working in the open, we’re building capacity across the government for better service delivery. And we need you.
We’re hiring a Senior Front-End Software Developer. While we have locations in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, and Kitchener; we largely work distributedly and equally value candidates in other parts of Canada.
We’re a matrixed organization with communities of practice that staff people across our business units. Those units include Partnerships, providing hands on consulting with other departments, and Platforms, building and operating reusable software services. This position is part of the Software Development Community and reports to the Head of Software Development, who assigns people to projects based on organizational needs and personal growth plans. Your day-to-day will change based on which business unit you are assigned to and, over time, the evolving nature of work at CDS. For example, some days will involve more strategic coaching than hands-on coding.
Senior Developers are classified as CS-04 in the Computer Systems group.
You’ll need to accomplish the following things:
- Listen to, learn from, and help fellow government employees/departments improve how they work and deliver public services. Based on what’s simultaneously feasible and impactful is critical, help with change management, promote the Web Content Accessibility Guideline (WCAG) and human-centered design in places where we don’t have formal authority.
- Determining, communicating, and iteratively delivering minimal viable features and processes that will improve things for users right now. Doing this “agile-y” is critical, despite the government being waterfall driven.
- Create and champion default practices within CDS to increase our capacity to operate and deliver value on our Platform products. Not everything will be reusable with partner departments, but these should demonstrate good practices they might follow.
- Leading front-end development for full stack web applications (built from UI to infrastructure). This includes coding, operating, releasing, testing, and tuning them. You’ll need to do these in the open and collaboratively on cross-functional teams. This may involve rotating on-call duty.
- Build prototypes and/or well-crafted, maintainable software based on the context. By working in a cross functional team you will need to understand and sometimes act in roles other than your own.
We’ll evaluate you based on:
- Architecting and coding web-based software systems that are reliable, maintainable, safe, and accessible
- Knowledge of best-practices on web performance, cross-browser/device compatibility and good automated tests coverage
- Discovering user/business needs and operational bottlenecks
- Working in highly variable, multi-stakeholder environments
- Advising senior leaders and non-technical audiences
- Translating modern developer practices to legacy tech stacks
- Promoting inclusive delivery and upholding impact, openness, integrity and fairness.
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we can recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
*Out of an abundance of caution, all interviews will be conducted via video or teleconference for the foreseeable future.