The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) is tasked with changing how the federal government designs and delivers digital services, to reduce the risk of product failure, lower costs, ensure user privacy and system security, and, above all, improves people’s lives by putting their needs and concerns front and center. We believe every experience Canadians have with their government should meet or exceed their reasonable modern expectations that digital services be safe, fast, easy, transparent, and accessible. Working in the open, we’re building capacity across the government for better service delivery. And we need you.
We’re hiring for a Senior Agile Delivery Manager. While we have locations in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, and Kitchener; we largely work distributedly and equally value candidates in other parts of Canada.
We’re a matrixed organization with communities of practice that staff people across our business units. Those units include Partnerships, providing hands on consulting with other departments and Platforms, building and operating reusable software services.. This position will report to the Head of Product and Delivery Management Community, but will be assigned to the Partnerships unit to oversee the delivery of its different teams working on the Covid Alert service.
Senior Agile Delivery Managers are classified as CS-04 in the Computer Systems group in the Treasury Board Secretariat of the Government of Canada.
You’ll need to accomplish the following things:
- Oversee the work of different product teams and optimize delivery practices, processes and communication channels in a changing and complex environment
- Align multi-disciplinary team members around a team’s mission and ensure that efforts are leading to desired, measurable outcomes
- Together with the product teams, build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders based on trust, openness and collaboration
- Provide guidance on agile rituals, organization, and may support with facilitation; organize and facilitate working sessions with stakeholders
- Create strategies to mitigate delivery risks; efficiently protect product teams from outside distractions and interruptions
- Monitor trends in both the team’s health, as well as capacity and proactively take action in order to maintain both dimensions at an optimal and sustainable level
- Advocate for and apply agile methodologies’ best practices based on the context of the team and the business unit; carry out agile training activities both at CDS and across government
- Lead by example in demonstrating a culture of learning, wellbeing and transparency through rigorous behaviours
We’ll evaluate you based on your:
- Knowledge of and experience in the agile delivery management practice, especially in ambiguous and multi-stakeholder environments
- Ability to coordinate and motivate multiple teams of developers, designers and researchers, with experience of having worked in similar roles and teams previously
- Creativity and passion for problem-solving and for risk mitigation to maximize the efficiency of teams
- Experience of leading the development, release and continuous improvement of digital services through different stages of delivery
- Ability to build trustworthy relationships with stakeholders and peers and adapt your approach with each of them
- Habits of being organized, taking action, learning through doing and helping others to achieve their goals and develop their potential
- Ability to promote inclusive delivery, and to uphold impact, openness, integrity and fairness.
You’ll join the Partnerships business unit, which grows our relationships with other government departments and helps them improve how they design and deliver digital services.
Our Business Development team searches for opportunities and helps us prioritize the engagements we take on by their impact and feasibility. When we begin to partner, our Consulting Team helps us meet the department where they are, take stock, and deliver the specific help they need by providing guidance or hands-on assistance to change how they serve people using technology. Where a partner wants more help to change how they’re working and show what’s possible, we’ll provide an Embedded Team to work side-by-side and help them build high fidelity prototypes while sharing our methods hands-on.
In all of our engagements, we work with public service leadership, service owners, and our colleagues to make the case for change, introduce new ways of working, and deliver the greatest public value. This means that regardless of your title and position, you’ll need to be outcome focused, able to wear multiple hats, and ready to navigate government bureaucracy to get things done. Common themes for engagements include: change management, procurement (i.e. buying software or services), human centred design, and leveraging commodity solutions (i.e. cloud, etc.).
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we can recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
*Out of an abundance of caution, all interviews will be conducted via video or teleconference for the foreseeable future.