The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) is tasked with changing how the federal government designs and delivers digital services, to reduce the risk of product failure, lower costs, ensure user privacy and system security, and, above all, improves people’s lives by putting their needs and concerns front and center. We believe every experience Canadians have with their government should meet or exceed their expectations that digital services be safe, fast, easy, transparent, and accessible. Working in the open, we’re building capacity across the government for better service delivery. And we need you.
We’re hiring for a Policy Delivery Team Lead. While we have locations in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, and Kitchener; we largely work distributedly and equally value candidates in other parts of Canada.
The Policy team is home to CDS’s bureaucracy hackers and government navigators, enabling digital delivery with our partners and beyond.
Policy Advisors form part of CDS’s multidisciplinary product teams, working alongside Product Managers, Developers, Designers, and Design Researchers. We help build and improve government services by working through legislative, regulatory, and policy issues in product development. We dig into processes to find creative solutions.
We also help build products and services that turn one-time fixes into replicable solutions, like GC Notify, the Government of Canada’s (GC) notification service. We drive lessons from delivery into policy and standards-setting, advocating for changes that make it easier to do the right thing.
Policy Delivery Team Leads are classified as EC-07 in the Economics and Social Science Services group in the Treasury Board Secretariat of the Government of Canada.
Our goal is to scale modern service design and development practices across government — in order to produce better outcomes for the public — by helping to change the relationship between policy and delivery.
Why join the CDS Policy team?
In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to work alongside members of CDS management and colleagues with diverse skills and experience. You’ll help guide Policy team members serving on CDS’s multidisciplinary teams working everyday to better serve people and businesses across Canada. You’ll flex your problem-solving abilities and manage a team of policy people working on issues like privacy, equity, design research, procurement, and the adoption of modern tools across multiple delivery teams. You’ll help connect CDS’s work with Cabinet, ministers, and senior officials to scale its impact.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Manage a team of policy advisors, including to manage assignments and workload, provide coaching and mentoring in their day-to-day work, and to help with career planning and development
- Guide policy team members serving on CDS delivery teams, including to help them set goals and priorities, work through problems, identify common themes or challenges across delivery teams and develop solutions, and publish documentation, blog posts and other material in the open to help others across government facing similar situations.
- Work with the Head of Policy, CDS’s business unit directors and heads of communities to set and deliver on organizational priorities, work through delivery and policy issues, and contribute to cross-community initiatives, delivery practices and processes.
- Help measure the impact CDS is having, with a focus on working alongside other communities at CDS to set and measure product and service improvement
- Take practical delivery lessons and contribute to policy team efforts to drive changes to rules, practices and governance to help scale iterative software development and human-centred design across government
- Support policy team efforts to research and connect the dots between government services and other areas of digital policy, such as access to broadband Internet, data management and policy, or technology and sustainability
- Lead and present policy and service delivery proposals to senior officials in government to advance CDS’s mandate and mission
- Build effective relationships within the federal government, Officers of Parliament, other levels of government, other countries, and other sectors
Skills we’re hoping you’ll bring:
- You want to make government better and understand how technology and design can contribute to that
- You excel at managing people and teams, and supporting people on your team in developing their skills and expertise
- You’re great at mentoring people who are working on complex and highly collaborative projects, including those involving change management
- You’re a strong researcher and creative problem-solver — and enjoy helping others dig into topics to generate advice and solutions
- You understand (or want to understand) how stuff gets done in government
- You’re good at cultivating relationships and building communities
- You communicate effectively and can translate complex issues for a wide range of audiences, both written and verbally
Some additional knowledge and experience that would be an asset include:
- Familiarity with Digital government
- Data analysis and performance monitoring and measurement
- Information Security
- Accessibility, equity, and human rights, especially related to government policy or technology
- Staffing and HR, including for digital talent streams
- Leading or working as part of multidisciplinary teams
We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
*Out of an abundance of caution, all interviews will be conducted via video or teleconference for the foreseeable future.