The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) works to change government so that it can serve people better through digital technology. Our teams work in the open to build software platforms that make it easier for government to deliver services and coach other government departments on how to leverage modern methods and technologies. We need you.
To support this important mission, we are hiring a SRE Developer to support the Platform business unit. Based on your level of experience developers are classified as CS-04 or CS-05 in the Computer Systems group.
All candidates will be evaluated based on their experiences:
- Developing, deploying, and operating services using major cloud tools
- Employing site reliability and software development practices
- Deliver solutions and processes iteratively
- Using automation and monitoring tools to reduce toil and surface issues
- Working in highly variable, highly visible, multi-stakeholder environments in the open
- Advising product team members, including non-developers
- Promoting inclusive delivery and upholding impact, openness, integrity and fairness.
- While we have locations in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, and Kitchener; we largely work distributedly and equally consider candidates in other parts of Canada.
Reporting to the Head of Software Development, this position is supporting the Platform business unit, which makes software platforms that make it easier for government departments to publish information and deliver transactional services (like Notify, Forms, etc.). You won’t directly be on these product teams, but will be supporting and advising them at large in the business unit both as an infrastructure architect and hands-on-keyboard doer, but likely more of the former.
You’ll need to accomplish the following things:
- Guide teams building greenfield products or adopting existing open source solutions as they determine the infrastructure, scaling, monitoring, and security needs of the problem space.
- Continuously learn about IaaS/PaaS/SaaS solutions that can enable team efficiencies and reduce maintenance burden for small, cross functional product development teams.
- Participate in government compliance and risk-mitigation exercises, including helping teams build/assess authority to operate (ATO) paperwork and conduct incident post-mortems.
- Setup a small technical support operations team within the Platform business unit, including creating a technical support triage process.
- Forecast budget spend on infrastructure, and recommend optimizations to lower costs.
- Coach and support Platform product development teams in establishing good practices, such as infrastructure as code, SLIs/SLOs/SLAs, continuous integration, and inclusive release management practices.
- Work with the Internal SRE to understand what things are to be centralized within CDS and what is owned by the Platform business unit, including contributing back to code bases, processes, and documentation owned by Internal SRE.
- Support tools and infrastructure that is directly owned by the Platform business unit, including rotating after hours support.
We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job. At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we can recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Out of an abundance of caution, all interviews will be conducted via video or teleconference for the foreseeable future.