The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) is changing how the federal government designs and delivers digital services. We’re here to improve people’s lives by changing how the government builds technology. We do this by putting people’s needs and concerns front and centre. Every experience Canadians have with their government should be safe, fast, easy, transparent, and accessible. We are working in the open to help everyone across government improve service delivery. We need you.
To support this important mission, we are looking for an IT Operations and Security Lead. Reporting to the Head of Internal Operations, this position is responsible for all internal IT operations and security needs of the organization — and helps ensure that employees at CDS are equipped with the digital tools, workspaces, and operational support they need to make an impact on the lives of people.
You can expect high impact and wide-ranging responsibility: management and configuration of our corporate software suite; owning IT operations and procurement; and supporting organization-level strategy.
We are looking for someone who will:
- Bring significant experience in internal IT operations and security including equipping teams with digital tools, workspaces, and operational support;
- Develop partnerships between IT and CDS’s communities, ensuring our practices and tools are constantly evolving to deliver the best service possible;
- Ensure technical, operational, and spending data is available to all members of the team to make informed decisions whenever needed;
- Work collaboratively with our development community, service reliability experts, and others to provide employees and teams with the hardware, software, and services they need, while overseeing procurement, security, budgeting, and other aspects of CDS’s internal IT operations;
- Have experience acting as a point of contact with vendors and service providers for systems and applications while assisting teams in the procurement of new tools and services;
- Share knowledge and expertise within the Internal Operations team and CDS to strengthen the capacity of the organization — and document and share practices and lessons learned more widely to help other teams across government;
- Understand Cloud and other tools that CDS works with and how to manage corporate and user accounts on each, including but not limited to AWS, MacOS, YubiKeys, G Suite, Slack, Trello, Github, Lever, Adobe, and 40+ more.
An excellent candidate will be able to:
- Challenge the status quo using research and a data-driven approach to identify, advocate for, and participate in changes to policies, processes, and practices where needed;
- Drive continuous improvement in CDS operational and administrative processes based on the needs of the organization and its team members;
- Develop basic scripts to automate and scale some of the work;
- Understand or quickly learn the relevant nuances of Government of Canada information management, especially for sensitive information, and associated IT security requirements, and put the controls and safeguards in place to make the tools that we want to work with compliant with government policies;
- Document and post team documents and practices on GitHub as part of CDS’s work in the open.
We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job.
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we can recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Out of an abundance of caution, all interviews will be conducted via video or teleconference for the foreseeable future.
*A pool of qualified persons resulting from this process MAY be created and MAY be used to fill similar position with linguistic profiles (english essential, bilingual imperative BBB/BBB, bilingual imperative CBC/CBC, as well as tenures (indeterminate, deployment, acting, assignment, secondment, specified period) which may vary according to the position being staffed.