The Canadian Digital Service changes government to serve people better. We do this by helping departments design and deliver digital services using modern technology and UX practices. Our work will improve people’s everyday lives, and we need your help.
We’re hiring a Head of Software Development in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, or Kitchener; although highly qualified candidates will be considered in other locations.
The Head of Software Development is the leader of CDS’s software development community and is responsible for making sure CDS can build and ship the software behind government services. They do this by assigning and supporting developers on a variety of engagements. These include building products in partnership with federal departments and providing platform services (i.e. scheduling, notifying, identity/logic, etc.).
You will report to the Director of Communities, who in turn reports to CDS’s CEO. This role is classified as a CS-05 in the Computer Systems group.
You’ll need to accomplish the following things:
- Create emotional and professional safety in CDS’s development community by:
- setting clear expectations
- providing feedback early and often
- supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion through consistent processes
- keeping engineering staff abreast of CDS strategy
- creating an environment that provides stability in the face of regular, healthy change and debate
- Unify and define the development community’s mission and what initiatives it owns within CDS. This will require facilitating across CDS’s management and community members alike.
- Hire and assign developers to efforts. Hiring participation includes recruiting, interviewing, and consistently evaluating candidates. These processes should increase diversity in our candidate pool. Assigning existing developers will balance across CDS’s OKRs, diversity, and individuals’ professional goals.
- Create meaningful, default practices and strategic goals for CDS developers, accounting for the varying contexts of projects and people. This includes web development, accessibility, security, and technical operations practices. Continual improvement is a must. Practices will be created through open dialogue with and in the community.
- Support and mentor developers to make technical decisions. You will need to moderate and decide when opinions are divided.
- Advocate and influence development strategy and best practices for CDS communities and government. This may involve advising other departments, central agencies, senior officials, as well as CDS community leads and our CEO.
We’re looking for people that have experience with:
- People management, including giving and delivering feedback, even when it’s hard.
- Fostering practices that support diversity, equity, and inclusion within your teams.
- Participating in and moderating difficult conversations around organization, community, and technical strategy.
- Making tradeoffs in support of mission and prioritization.
- Writing code for web applications and delivering it iteratively.
- Creating safe places to host sensitive data.
- Fostering a DevOps culture for product operations.
- Preference will be given to bilingual (French and English) candidates and to Canadian citizens.
We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job.
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it.
We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. We will only be able to deliver better, more accessible, and more inclusive public services if we harness diverse thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, Veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments.