The Canadian Digital Service is focused on delivering better public services using the best technology and design, all informed by people’s needs. We’re transforming government from the inside with simple, reliable products that make people’s lives better. It’s an exciting thing to be part of.
Our multidisciplinary teams have the agency and autonomy to solve meaningful problems with proper agile flows and high-quality tooling. The CDS product portfolio has grown steadily with room for more. We need a Head of Product Management to coordinate this work and raise our game further.
The number of product managers is growing at CDS and across the Government of Canada. So we need someone to advocate for this new profession, and bring the community together to share practice and standards amongst themselves. This work will be creative, rewarding and high profile.
Provide product management leadership
As our Head of Product Management, you will help CDS and partners in government through fulfilling responsibilities that include:
- Planning and coordinating product management practice across multiple delivery teams, in coordination with our engineering, design, research and policy community leads.
- Building trust with our government partners and developing their understanding of the benefits of human-centred product management.
- Defining and upholding product standards and practices, based on best practice, and developing guidance, tools and policies to ensure that standards can be met.
- Tracking measurable goals for our products and reporting against these to demonstrate progress and build trust amongst users and partners.
- Communicating the benefits of our products and sharing the experience of their delivery to get organizational buy-in and build the capability of others.
- Coaching and line management of talented colleagues in product and service management roles in CDS and partner departments, by setting objectives and providing feedback on skills and delivery.
Develop your skills and experience
You will be able to demonstrate the following essential capabilities:
- Ability to coach, mentor, and guide colleagues and government of Canada service owners on best practices in product management.
- Creativity and passion for problem-solving through the use of quantitative and qualitative data about people, services and technology.
- Track record of developing business cases and prioritized delivery plans for products that have had significant reach and impact.
- Experience of leading the development, release and iterative improvement of high-quality software through different stages of the product life cycle.
- Ability to coordinate and motivate multiple product delivery teams, with the ability to balance pace and productivity with people’s well-being.
- Capability to communicate persuasively through a variety of channels - such as conferences, blog posts and product demos - with a range of audiences.
- Habits of being organized, taking action, learning through doing, and helping others to grow and achieve their goals in an open and inclusive work culture.
At CDS, we celebrate difference
We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone ‘checks all the boxes’.
We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. We will only be able to deliver better, more accessible, and more inclusive public services if we harness diverse thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, Veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments.