The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) works with federal departments to make the services people depend on simple and easy-to-use. We’re a small but mighty team that is rethinking service design and delivery, engaging users every step of the way. By working in the open, and connecting partners with tools, talent, and training grounded in practice, we’re building capacity across the government for better service delivery. And we need you.
To support this important mission, we are looking for an interim Head of Internal Operations on an 18 month term, located in Ottawa. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), this position manages the finances and administrative operations of the organization — and makes sure that employees at CDS are equipped with the tools, workspace, and operational support they need to make an impact on the lives of people.
You can expect high impact and wide-ranging responsibility: managing finances and forecasting for all of CDS; overseeing day-to-day procurement and IT operations; managing the travel operations that ensure CDS teams can meet service users where they are; working with the CDS talent team to welcome and onboard new team members; ensuring CDS employees have great places to work in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, and beyond; planning and supporting organization-level activities; and more.
You would lead a team that currently includes three other members. This role is classified as a AS-05 in the Administrative Services group.
We are looking for someone who will:
- Lead and oversee key administrative and operational functions of CDS, including but not limited to: finance, office management, accommodations (facilities), travel, procurement, and IT;
- Establish trusted relationships with leadership and throughout the communities at CDS, ensuring administrative and operational strategies and processes are iterated on regularly to meet the organization’s needs;
- Ensure managers and teams at CDS have the financial and other operational data and analysis they need to make informed decisions;
- Work collaboratively with our Head of Security, COO, and others to provide employees and teams with the hardware, software, and services they need to be effective, overseeing the relevant procurement, security, and other aspects of CDS’s internal IT operations;
- Act as CDS’s main point of contact with TBS counterparts in areas of corporate services such as finance and facilities that are critical to CDS’s operations; Coordinate CDS’s responses to corporate planning and reporting exercises such as the Integrated Business Plan, quarterly forecasts, and the Business Continuity Plan;
- Be responsible for accommodations (facilities/physical workplace) at headquarters and distributed offices across the country;
- Coach, mentor, and guide team members within the Internal Operations team.
An excellent candidate will be able to:
- Find the flexibilities that exists in current policies and procedures — and negotiate operational agreements with key stakeholders within TBS;
- Challenge the status quo and identify and advocate for changes to policies, processes, and practices where needed;
- Drive continuous improvement in CDS operational and administrative processes based on the needs of the organization and its team members;
- Use a research and data-driven approach to problem-solving, making sense of trends and using the insights to better process;
- Foster practices that support diversity, equity, and inclusion within their teams;
- Communicate in both French and English (in government terms, this positions is CBC).
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we can recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Out of an abundance of caution, all interviews will be conducted via video or teleconference for the foreseeable future. If you have any questions about this, please reach out to cdsrecruitment.recrutementSNC@tbs-sct.gc.ca.