The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) is tasked with changing how the federal government designs and delivers digital services, to reduce the risk of product failure, lower costs, ensure user privacy and system security, and, above all, improves people’s lives by putting their needs and concerns front and center. We believe every experience Canadians have with their government should meet or exceed their reasonable modern expectations that digital services be safe, fast, easy, transparent, and accessible. Working in the open, we’re building capacity across the government for better service delivery. And we need you.
The Chief Operating Officer’s office is the administrative and operational hub of CDS. The COO and their teams have two main responsibilities: to ensure that the rest of the organization has what it needs to perform at an optimal level — and to make it easier for others across government to adopt similar tools and practices. We are looking for an Executive Assistant who will thrive at managing multiple priorities in a rapidly changing environment, as they work alongside our Chief Operating Officer (COO) and their teams. This is a multi-faceted role that goes beyond traditional administration and correspondence and will provide the opportunity to grow skills in strategy, stakeholder engagement, work management, and policy. If you’re ready to work and learn as part of a caring, mission-driven, fast-paced team; help CDS continuously fine-tune their operations; and play a part in improving services for Canadians, this is the role for you. This role is classified as AS-03 or AS-04 in the Administrative Services group.
We’re looking for someone who will:
- Manage calendars and logistics for internal and external meetings, as well as travel.
- Draft and manage correspondence and communications on behalf of the COO.
- Plan and execute team events, meetings, off-sites, and other special functions.
- Track, organize, and prioritize a range of action items, approval requests, and internal documents from staff.
- Act as a liaison both internally and externally, maintaining a sense of professionalism and collaboration at all times.
- Create clarity and structure while working with senior leaders, helping them operationalize their strategic priorities.
- Remain calm under pressure, know how to prioritize, and work as part of a team.
- Work closely with the Office of the CEO, Business Unit directors, and the offices of operational partners across the Treasury Board Secretariat.
An excellent candidate will be able to:
- Keep the COO on track to meet commitments and support accountability for results across the team.
- Create and improve processes and systems for prioritization and tracking.
- Think on their feet, providing interpretation and advice for the COO as they engage partners and stakeholders inside and outside government.
- Find creative solutions to problems and make sound judgement calls when faced with uncertainty or incomplete information.
- Collaborate and co-create with partners and stakeholders.
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Apps (particularly GMail, Calendar, and Docs), and Trello.
- Understand how government works and the systems used to run it — with an ability to manage and navigate bureaucracy with ease.
- Communicate fluently in French and English (in government speak, this role is CCC).
- Ability to draft correspondence in both official languages and to review translations would be an asset.
We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job.
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we can recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
*Out of an abundance of caution, all interviews will be conducted via video or teleconference for the foreseeable future.