The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) is changing how the federal government designs and delivers digital services. We’re here to improve people’s lives by changing how the government builds technology. We do this by putting people’s needs and concerns front and centre. Every experience Canadians have with their government should be safe, fast, easy, transparent, and accessible. We are working in the open to help everyone across government improve service delivery. We need you.
Content design is a UX practice focused on meeting the information needs of users, and how to best organize and present that information in English and French. Content design helps people find what they need, understand what they find, and use it to meet their needs.
Content designers put tasks and procedures into a context that people can follow. They do this on a foundation of research into user needs, policy, subject-matter expertise, and systemic constraints.
At CDS, typical responsibilities of a content designer include:
- Researching the vocabulary and mental models people use to achieve their goals;
- Clarifying the purpose of every element of an experience;
- Focusing on the context of what is relevant and eliminating “noise”;
- Creating the least amount of content and UI for an experience to make sense;
- Iterating on language and processes based on data and qualitative insights.
Content designers are in constant collaboration with the multidisciplinary teams, working very closely with service designers, visual designers, interaction designers, and researchers. This role is classified as a CS-04 in the Computer Systems group.
What we’re looking for:
- Your approach to design starts with inclusivity and accessibility;
- You’re great at communicating with people who aren’t familiar with design, comfortable working alongside clients during the design process, and are excited to work with people on research and testing;
- You can effectively demonstrate what your detailed design process entails;
- You are passionate about users’ experiences and want to create measurable improvements to government services;
- You have experience working alongside developers and researchers and rapidly prototyping;
- Communicate and write in both French and English (in government terms, this position is CCC).
We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job.
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we can recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
*Out of an abundance of caution, all interviews will be conducted via video or teleconference for the foreseeable future.