We’re transforming government. Our products will impact people’s everyday lives. It’s an exciting thing to be part of. We need you.
The Canadian Digital Service is focused on delivering better public services using the best technology and design, all informed by people’s needs.
As Head of Design for CDS, you’ll be excited by the challenge of creating and managing digital services that work across multiple channels, devices, browsers and platforms. You and your team will help ensure CDS and its partners are building meaningful, accessible, inclusive, and secure services in the open, and help those partners prepare to own, maintain and continuously improve the services we deliver with them.
You’ll lead a team of interaction, visual, content, and service designers in the creation of accessible public services that are simple for everyone to use. You’ll set the vision and tone, shape our design direction and choices, assess our recruitment needs and recruit to fulfill them, and support the team’s learning and development.
You’ll be comfortable guiding and mentoring your team in their work and career progression by creating an environment where design is valued and can succeed. Leading by example, you’re able to see the bigger picture as well as the fine detail, understand how to design in an agile environment, and can sketch in code, software, as well as on paper.
What we’re looking for:
- You apply the right tools to solve problems. You have experience working in lean, agile, or other fast-moving environments, where you’ve deployed open source and cloud technologies at scale.
- You build and lead high-performing design teams that are engaged in several products and services at a time. You engage well with others, internally and externally. You inspire collaboration and creativity and can communicate effectively with specialist and non-specialist audiences alike.
- You advocate for the people you serve. You build with people, integrating data and user experiences. You have a vision for what design in and for government can and should be, and an appetite for challenging the status quo.
- You ensure that the design of services is consistent, both internally and with the rest of CDS initiatives. You have a desire to build capacity across the Government of Canada, and can actively contribute to the cross-government design community.
- You are passionate about making Canada a better place.
An excellent candidate will be able to:
- Promote innovation and guide design change at CDS and with our government partners.
- Lead your teams and community of practice to design, build, and operate critical systems.
- Set, monitor, and coach designers to meet professional standards and continuously develop and improve their skills.
- Build clear understanding about how designers work with other disciplines.
- Lead the charge by creating tooling and systems that help designers do their best work.
- Ensure product teams are staffed to deliver high quality design.
- Set and continuously improve a high-performing, inclusive, team-first development culture and foster team leaders who will do the same.
- Welcome constructive criticism of their work and constructively review the work of others.
- Model a culture of inclusive delivery and uphold principles of openness, integrity and fairness.
- Recruit, interview, hire, cultivate and support diverse design teams.
- Explain design decisions to a range of audiences and collaborate with partners and stakeholders.
- Effectively represent government design with cross-industry communities.
We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job.
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it.
We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. We will only be able to deliver better, more accessible, and more inclusive public services if we harness diverse thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, Veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments.
Email us at CDSRecruitment.RecrutementSNC@tbs-sct.gc.ca with “Head of Design” in the subject line. Include a link to a CV, examples of your work, and/or whatever you think we should see to get to know you.