The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) works with federal departments to make the services people depend on simple and easy-to-use. We’re a small but mighty team that is rethinking service design and delivery, engaging users every step of the way. By working in the open, and connecting partners with tools, talent, and training grounded in practice, we’re building capacity across the government for better service delivery. And we need you.
As the Outreach Team, we are the storytellers of the Canadian Digital Service. We tell the stories that help public servants improve government services and make people’s lives better. If you’re ready to help us use fewer words and more pictures, then this is the role for you.
This role is classified as a IS-02 in the Information Services group and represents the IS qualification standards.
- Help us tell better stories, visually — whether that’s with photos, illustrations, animations, or video. We don’t need you to be an expert at all the things. We’re looking for someone who is really good at one or two of these things and interested in getting better at the rest.
- Craft great visual content to make our blog, social media accounts, presentations, website, and posters more engaging and more memorable.
- Help us cultivate a brand that resonates with our values.
An excellent candidate will:
- Have front end web development skills
- Have experience with Figma
- Live by these questions: “Who is the audience?”, “What do they need to know?” and “How will this make them feel?”
- Interpret, apply and adhere to brand guidelines, without limiting creativity.
- Love to venture into their growth zone to explore, examine and visualize a wide variety of ideas.
- Be motivated to learn new image, photo, animation, illustration and video editing software.
- Collaborate by default, listen and ask if they don’t understand, and be skilled at taking ideas to the next stage.
- Transform constraints into creative levers and try new things to see if they work.
- Be comfortable with what they know and with what they don’t know. They’re not afraid to raise any questions right away, instead of midway through the work.
- Know that done is better than perfect, and understands the key to creative success is not abandonment or stubbornness, but perseverance.
- Be fluent in French et peut également parler anglais*. In Government speak, this role is ‘CBC.’
- Be based near Ottawa (in the ‘NCR’)
We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy All employees of the core public administration are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and attest to their vaccination status unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground for discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act.
*A pool of qualified persons resulting from this process MAY be created and MAY be used to fill similar positions, with linguistic profiles (english essential, bilingual imperative BBB/BBB, bilingual imperative CBC/CBC, as well as tenures (indeterminate, deployment, acting, assignment, secondment, specified period) which may vary according to the position being staffed.