We believe that public services should be easy to use, secure, reliable, accessible and inclusive for everyone — especially those most in need — and we want your help!
Our mandate is to help government improve the way it designs and delivers services to people in Canada. We empower our partners to put people at the centre of services. We provide tailored help to individual organizations to make timely design and technology decisions, build capability and adopt new ways of working, and we offer common digital service building blocks — like GC Notify and GC Forms — that any government team can use to quickly stand up services. We share our work in the open and advocate for policy changes to make it easier for others to embrace agile, human-centered practices.
About your team
This position resides in the Platform Business Unit which works towards empowering the government to serve people better by delivering self-serve products to create and run high quality public services for Canadians.
We’re looking for a Senior Infrastructure Developer who will design, build, configure, and improve our infrastructure as code for various internal tools and products to enable deploying rapidly, scaling gracefully, and keeping system data safe.
This role is classified as an IT-04 or IT-05 in the Computer Systems group. This position is English essential and can be performed from anywhere in Canada. In the future, occasional travel to Ottawa may be required.
What you’ll do
- Design, build, configure, and improve infrastructure as code for various internal tools and CDS products to enable deploying rapidly, scaling gracefully, and keeping system data safe.
- Apply security best practices and complete compliance paperwork to keep cloud infrastructure and tools safe for users and those they support.
- Relentlessly reduce toil and increase automation on a small product team that enables the team to not continue to grow in headcount and still meet product demands.
- Identify inefficiencies and bottlenecks inside our continuous integration / continuous deployment pipelines, monitoring capabilities, and cloud infrastructure.
- Advise product team members, including non-developers.
- Promoting inclusive delivery and upholding impact, openness, integrity and fairness.
- Maintain and participate in operational support rotas, including our out-of-hours on-call rotation.
What we’re looking for
- Experience in developing, deploying, and operating services using major cloud providers (preferably AWS).
- Experience using and improving cloud design patterns for CDS services.
- Solid experience with kubernetes.
- Ability to employ site reliability, DevOps and software development practices.
- Ability to deliver solutions and processes iteratively.
- Ability to work in highly variable, highly visible, multi-stakeholder environments, in the open.
- Familiarity with Infrastructure-as-Code (Terraform and Terragrunt) and Configuration-as-Code principles.
We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job.