The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) is tasked with changing how the federal government designs and delivers accessible digital services, to reduce the risk of product failure, lower costs, ensure user privacy and system security, and, above all, improves people’s lives by putting their needs and concerns front and center. We believe every experience Canadians have with their government should meet or exceed their reasonable modern expectations that digital services be safe, fast, easy, transparent, and accessible. Working in the open, we’re building capacity across the government for better service delivery. And we need you.
We’re hiring Full Stack Software Developers. While our home base is in Ottawa, we largely work distributedly across Canada and equally value candidates in other parts of Canada. Our Business Units consist of Partnerships, providing hands-on consulting with other departments, and Platforms, building and operating reusable software services.
These positions are part of the Software Development Community and report to your Product Team Lead within the Platform Business Unit.Your day-to-day will change based on which product team within a department you are assigned to and, over time, the evolving nature of work at CDS. For example, some days will involve more strategic coaching than hands-on coding.
Based on your level of experience developers are classified as CS-03, CS-04 or CS-05 in the Computer Systems group.
You’ll need to accomplish the following things:
- Determining, communicating, and iteratively delivering minimal viable features and processes that will improve things for users right now. Doing this in an agile way is critical, despite the government being waterfall driven.
- Create and champion default practices within CDS to increase our capacity to operate and deliver value on our products.
- Shipping full stack web applications (UI to infrastructure). This includes architecting, coding, operating, releasing, testing, and tuning them. You’ll need to do these in the open and collaboratively on multidisciplinary teams.
- Build prototypes and/or well-crafted, maintainable software based on the context. You may need to wear different, non-developer (UX, product) hats depending on the time and situation.
We’ll evaluate you based on:
- Creating and delivering software using modern web technologies and platforms such as React, Typescript, PHP, Wordpress, CSS. Nice-to-haves include Docker, Terraform, AWS.
- Creating and delivering inclusive and accessible (WCAG) software
- Employing or promoting site reliability/devops practices
- Championing, defining and improving team standards for code style, test automation, maintainability, and best practices for a distributed, cloud-based system
- Monitoring and supporting services in production that are within the team’s domain of ownership
- Securing systems and processes
- Working in highly variable, multi-stakeholder environments
- Advising senior leaders and non-technical audiences
- Promoting inclusive delivery and upholding impact, openness, integrity and fairness.
- Proactivity and showing initiative on teams, being able and willing to fill in the gaps in teams when needed
At CDS, we don’t just accept differences - we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we can recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential. Assessment accommodation
*Out of an abundance of caution, all interviews will be conducted via video or teleconference for the foreseeable future.