We believe that public services should be easy to use, secure, reliable, accessible, and inclusive for everyone — especially those most in need — and we want your help!
Our mandate is to help government improve the way it designs and delivers services to people in Canada. We empower our partners to put people at the centre of services. We provide tailored help to individual organizations to make timely design and technology decisions, build capability and adopt new ways of working, and we offer common digital service building blocks – like GC Notify and GC Forms – that any government team can use to quickly stand up services. We share our work in the open and advocate for policy changes to make it easier for others to embrace agile, human-centred practices.
To support this important mission, we’re hiring our next Director of Talent and Internal Operations to guide the growth and development of our team. We’re looking for someone who is obsessed with attracting and cultivating talent, knows how to lead HR in a human way, and can drive an organization’s financial and administrative functions. You’re the right person if you approach problems with tenacity and look for long term solutions. You will lead teams that have an impact across CDS by delivering an engaging employee experience and driving programs to continuously improve diversity, equity, and inclusion at CDS, guided by our CDS Values — and across government by building relationships to help shape how government enables its talent to do their best work.
This role reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), is classified as an EX-01 in the Executive group, and represents the EX qualification standards.
We are looking for someone who will:
- Set the vision and direction for Talent and Internal Operations at CDS and become a trusted partner of the CDS management team;
- Lead the four teams in Talent and Internal Operations: Employee Experience, People Operations, Internal Operations, and Talent Acquisition;
- Champion, model, and advance CDS’s values and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion priorities;
- Shape and drive effective talent programs, including talent acquisition, employee engagement, professional development, retention, and distributed work;
- Shape and drive effective internal operations programs, including corporate budgeting and financial reporting, procurement, travel and accommodations.
- Directly advise senior leaders on key opportunities and challenges needed to drive broad digital transformation across the Government of Canada, including for talent acquisition, development and empowerment, in collaboration with the Office of the Chief Information Officer of the Government of Canada and others;
- Build and manage relationships and partnerships with leaders and teams across the Government of Canada, as well as in the private and public sectors, to advance CDS’s mandate and advocate for change; and
- Coach, mentor, and inspire CDS’s people leaders in a growth environment.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience applying modern HR practices to improve talent acquisition and employee experience;
- Experience leading the creation of an inclusive, welcoming, and culturally competent work environment;
- Experience designing and successfully implementing new talent programs and initiatives;
- Experience driving strategy and change in a multilayer, complex organization;
- Experience working with technology and/or digital teams;
- Experience negotiating with external stakeholders or partners to move forward a program or practice
- Degree from a recognized post-secondary institution OR acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience; and
- Communicate in both English and French (in government terms this position is Bilingual Imperative/Non-Imperative CBC/CBC).
Throughout this process, candidates can expect to be assessed on criteria listed in the statement of merit criteria (SOMC).
If you don’t meet our essential criteria for this role, we might have current or future opportunities that could be a great fit. Please consider applying and introduce yourself - we are always keen to meet new digital leaders and technologists.
CDS is a fully distributed team. This job can be performed from anywhere in Canada .
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we can recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS welcomes all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.