The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) is changing how the federal government designs and delivers digital services. We do this by:
- Putting people at the heart of services;
- Focusing on measuring how we help people and how we create lasting impact;
- Doing the hard work to make things easier;
- Building for learning and iteration;
- Taking care of each other and;
- Working in the open to help clear a path.
To support this important mission, we are looking for a Consulting Digital Practitioner - DevSecOps, to join the Consulting team under CDS’s Partnerships unit. CDS’s Consulting team provides expert advice and hands-on help to public servants establishing new services or improving existing ones to serve the public. This means that, as a member of this team, you’ll need to be outcome focused, able to wear multiple hats, and ready to navigate government bureaucracy to get things done. Common themes for consulting include: change management, procurement (i.e. buying software or services), human centred design and research, agile software development, product and delivery management, and leveraging commodity solutions (i.e. cloud, etc.).
This role is a 2 year-term position and is classified as an IT-05 in the Computer Systems group. CDS is a fully distributed team. This role can be performed from anywhere in Canada. In the future, occasional travel to Ottawa may be required. Bilingualism is required for this position. Government knowledge or experience is preferred for this role.
The primary responsibilities of this role are to:
- Build relationships with members of the public service (including executives), based on empathy, trust and shared understanding of their needs and context.
- Help your team create clarity in complex situations by proposing actionable solutions and recommendations
- Provide advice and guidance to colleagues across the public service based on your skills and strengths to help improve their digital literacy and their ability to design and deliver better end-to-end services.
- Together with your team, help public services remove delivery obstacles, introduce best practices, and incrementally change how partner departments design and deliver their priority services.
- Coach members of the public service on how to creatively solve problems by putting user needs, accessibility, diversity, measurement/evaluation, integrity, openness and fairness first.
- Work transparently, including by reporting the progress of your work in an ongoing and open fashion
- Demonstrate a growth and entrepreneurial mindset and solid communication skills to continuously refine your consulting and change management approach
- Seek opportunities to relentlessly champion the adoption and growth of digital delivery best practices within partner departments.
The requirements for this role are to have:
- Practiced teaching, coaching or consulting in previous roles
- Translated modern developer practices to legacy tech stacks, or conducted a legacy migration
- Used modern decentralized version control systems (preferably Git) and continuous integration/delivery platforms and paradigms
- Prioritized software features and developer workloads to balance between speed to ship and maintenance burden (i.e. tech and/or process debt)
- Deployed software to common cloud service providers (IaaS, PaaS)
- Leveraged practices from site reliability engineering and DevSecOps culture to increase the reliability and security of services
- Experienced working on cross-functional, interdisciplinary teams that deliver digital products and services at scale, while promoting a user-centered, open, inclusive and iterative culture
- Helped break down silos within an organization and built an ability to make the case for organizational strategy and change
- Learned about the operational realities, constraints, and opportunities federal government departments face when working to modernize how they buy, build and use software to deliver services
This position will report to the Head of Consulting or a people manager in the Consulting team. There may be people management responsibilities (no more than 3 to 4 direct reports) included in this role, outside of the partner engagements you are going to contribute to.
While engaging with partner departments, we use both Mac and Windows Office environments as well as renowned software as a service tools such as Slack, Trello, Github or Miro to name a few.
We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job.
Diversity & Inclusion
At CDS, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make CDS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services — accessible, inclusive services — can only be realized if we can recognize and harness the most diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We work hard to create an environment where different perspectives and experiences are valued. We are committed to helping diverse talent thrive.
CDS invites all applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or family commitments. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.