About the Canadian Digital Service
The Canadian Digital Service (CDS) is changing how the federal government designs and delivers digital services. We’re here to improve people’s lives by changing how the government builds technology. We do this by putting people’s needs and concerns front and centre. Every experience Canadians have with their government should be safe, fast, easy, transparent, and accessible. We are working in the open to help everyone across the government improve service delivery. We need you.
To support this important mission, we are looking for a Consulting Digital Practitioner - Content Design.
About the Consulting Team
We are a digital government consulting team, inside government, for government, that brings hands-on delivery experience at scale from the public and private sectors. We help departments make timely design and technology decisions, build their in-house digital capabilities, and adopt new ways of working, so they can continually improve how they deliver public services.
Consulting Digital Practitioner: Content Design
What you’ll be doing:
- Build relationships with members of the public service (including executives), based on empathy, trust, and shared understanding of their needs and context.
- Provide pragmatic advice and guidance to colleagues across the public service based on your skills and strengths to help improve their digital and content design literacy, and their ability to design and deliver inclusive end-to-end services.
- Demonstrate content design leadership and strategy expertise grounded in industry best practices to support multi-disciplinary teams as they tackle complex problems, with different levels of digital maturity.
- Contribute to the creation of reusable content assets within the Consulting team to help your consultant peers provide consistent recommendations in a timely manner.
- Work transparently, including by reporting the progress of your work in an ongoing and open fashion.
- Demonstrate a growth mindset to continuously refine your consulting and change management approach.
- Seek opportunities to relentlessly champion the adoption and growth of digital delivery best practices within partner departments.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Practiced teaching, coaching, and/or consulting in previous roles.
- Strong facilitation skills to design and lead co-creation workshops and negotiations, present recommendations and advice to stakeholders on digital content design best practices.
- Experience working with cross-functional, interdisciplinary teams that deliver digital products and services at scale.
- Helped break down silos within an organization and built an ability to make the case for organizational strategy and change.
- Learned about the operational realities, constraints, and opportunities federal government departments face when working to modernize how they buy, build and use software to deliver services.
- This role will primarily be creating French language content. Priority will be given to candidates who can communicate and write in both French and English (in government terms, at a BBB, CBC or CCC level).
This position will report to the Head of Consulting or a people manager in the Consulting team. There may be people management responsibilities (no more than 4 direct reports) included in this role, outside of the partner engagements you are going to contribute to.
While engaging with partner departments, we use both Mac and Windows Office environments as well as renowned software as a service tools such as Slack, Trello, Github or Miro to name a few.
This role is a 2 year-term position and is classified as an IT-04 or IT-05 in the Computer Systems group. CDS is a fully distributed team. This role can be performed from anywhere in Canada. In the future, occasional travel to Ottawa may be required. Bilingualism is required for this position. Government knowledge or experience is preferred for this role.
General process information
You’ll join the Partnerships Business Unit, which grows our relationships with other government departments and helps them improve how they design and deliver digital services.
In all of our engagements, we work with public service leadership, service owners, and our colleagues to make the case for change, introduce new ways of working, and deliver the greatest public value. This means that regardless of your title and position, you’ll need to be outcome focused, able to wear multiple hats, and ready to navigate government bureaucracy to get things done. Common themes for engagements include: change management, procurement (i.e. buying software or services), human-centred design, and leveraging commodity solutions (i.e. cloud, etc.).
We recognize that everyone brings skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! Tell us why you’re the right fit for the job.